The First and Second Engineer Aviation Brigades were established on August 1, 1944 as a means of decentralizing control over the great distances growing out of the St-Lô breakthrough and subsequent displacement of separate armies and tactical air commands. Acting as advanced echelons of command headquarters and confining their control top only operational matters, the brigades were always in close proximity and liaison with the TAC and Army which they were supporting. Aviation engineer units were shifted between the brigades as directed by operational needs. The First and Second Brigades did a major share of the aviation engineer planning and each contributed half of the total construction effort.
Aviation Engineers in Mobile Warfare