IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kirchhellen, Y-82
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:52 am 

Hi all,

I am glad that I found this great forum! Now I would like to introduce myself. My name is Matthias Hundt. I live on the northern edge of the Ruhrdistrict in Germany. As expected, I am intessiere for airfields of the German Luftwaffe during the Second World War.
My friend Norbert Loy and I have almost completed a book on the Bavarian airfield Brunnthal (south of Neubiberg R-85), we are preparing a new project. It is now the airfield Kirchhellen, Y-82 (someone be posted erroneously as Kirchellen).

The history of the airfield Kirchhellen, Y-82:

The construction of the airfield began even before the war. At the beginning of the German attack on the Netherlands, Belgium and France in May 1940, the airfield was used for the first time with regular stationed units . During this time the airfield was with the following units of the German Air Force assigned:
II and III. / KG 4 with Junkers Ju 88 and Heinkel He 111
IV. / LG 1 with Junkers Ju87
I. / ZG 1 with Messerschmidt Bf110

Over the next few years the airfield has been expanded. There was some new fortified taxiways and platforms for maintenance. A short and narrow railroad track right on the airfield provided for the supply of aviation fuel. This railroadtanks were set up with aircraft fuel. This airfield had not its own rail connection. On the adjacent edge of the forest some accommodations and wooden barracks were builded for technical work. In addition in the surrounding forest some boxes was piled for parked aircraft.

After the invasion of the Allies were again in the fall of 1944 units of the German Air Force stationed here briefly:
II. / JG 26 with Focke Wulf Fw 190
I. / JG 77 with Messerschmidt Bf109
In addition came in the spring of 1945 the Junkers Ju87 from the unit NSGr.1. Were flying from here attacks to the bridge of Remhagen.

This area and the airfield Kirchhellen was on 29 March 1945 from British and American troops occupied. He was right in the intersection of the two armies after the Rhine crossing at Wesel. Before this time all German flying units was withdrawn from Kirchhellen. Then the place was made ready to use by the 830th Engineer Aviation Battalion. The original size of the round grass airfield was enlarged to two sides. This enabled cargo planes like C-47 take off and land here.

Unfortunately here ends our knowledge. My friends and I would be delighted if we could establish contacts with the 830th EAB. We hope in this way could perhaps learn more about their time in Kirchhellen. At present this area is used as a gliding field and a small airfield.

With friendly greetings

Matthias

Attachments:
File comment: old taxiway in the forest and a box for fighter aircraft
Kirchhellen.JPG
Kirchhellen.JPG [ 114.04 KiB | Viewed 17722 times ]