IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:20 am 
Site Admin

I received this query on Facebook. Wanted to share the answer here ...

Quote:
Do you know of any way to determine in what part of England my father served during WWII? He was a member of the 825th Avn Engr Bn in England from 1942-1944, and I know he taught bridge-building. I have researched on the Internet but haven't found anything definitive. He served in Greenland prior to that. Thank you.

Hi Nancy. I haven't converted the 825th EAB unit history yet but I can get you some data.

First, I recently found and read an account of your father's unit's time in Greenland. Luckily, you should be able to purchase a copy yourself. I'm attaching a link below.

Bluie West One: Secret Mission to Greenland, July 1941: The Building of an American Air Force Base

Now, as to England ...

The 825th EAB was first stationed at Stansted in Essex to build the Stansted Air Base. They were there from September 1942 to December 1943.

From there, the 825th EAB headed to Boreham, Essex. I was here that they experienced nightly air raid alerts.

While at Boreham, companies were dispersed around the countryside to do work at Gosfield and Ridgewell.

In April 1944, the entire Battalion moved to Matlask, Norfolk for training prior to deployment to the continent.

At the end of May 1944, the Battalion moved to Highcliffe, Hantshire and from here they did maintenance work on Winkton, Lymington, Christchurch and Bisterne.

On 28 June 1944, the Battalion moved to the marshaling yards at Chandlersford, Hantshire and then to Southampton to embark for France. The first part of the Battalion landed in France at Omaha Beach on 1 July 1944 and the last landed on 6 July 1944.