IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:06 pm 

My name is Mike Schwenker and I have a large collection of photos that I have not seen on this site. I would like to share them in some way with any one who has an interest. I also have lots of names on photos and I would particularly like to find any veterans who were in these photos or their families, so I can give them copies and possibly share stories or gather memories (if they have any) of my father 1st Sargeant Edwin C. Schwenker or the 922nd.

My father passed away when I was 20 in 1986. He did share a few things that are burnt into my memory. Of his commanding officers killed at Le Bourget, to Goose Gosnell, Doc Oldham, Joe Saulque "the indian", to the motorcycle he rode in France and how he came about getting it, to the buzz bomb which exploded in Belgium and was the cause for the scrapnel he received and subsequent purple heart.

I guess I hope to share and maybe be blessed with some stories I haven't heard and possibly gain a new friend or two in the process. I hope to hear from someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Hello Mike and welcome. I'm glad you found us. Hal Wiener let me know you had found him. Hal is your best source for contact information of the remaining members of the 922nd EAR.

I'd love to see your photos and include them on the site. Do you have a way to scan them? If you could send me a CD of the images I can format them for the website. I'm excited that many of your photos have names attahced to them. All too often the names and faces get separated over time. Do any of them show the unit's D-Day commander, Col Pat Little or the XO Lt Col Gil Hall? These are the two officers killed at Le Bourget and Col Little was my grandfather.

Take a look at some of these personal pages that have been created ...

Sample pages

If you'd like to do one for your father, I'd be more than happy to make space available. Just let me know.

Again, welcome and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

David