IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:09 pm 
My father Jack Buchwald served with the 924th Engineers. He was one of the many men responsibile for the completion, and rehabilitation of airfields across Europe. I have had the privlege to meet several of his fellow unit members, and in 1990, was fortunate enough to take a group photo at their reunion in Cincinnati, Ohio.
My father is still alive, and lives with my mother Gerrie in Florida. He had two children, my older sister Linda, and me.
I am proud to be his son, and in the last few years have really come to realize what the "Greatest Generation" accomplished in WWII. We, as Americans, as well as the people of the world, owe much to this generation. This is a debt which can never be fully repaid. Thanks to all veterans.

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Jack, welcome.

Right now I'm really focused on gathering memoirs/memorials/histories/etc. of the men in the Command. As I find veterans or family members, I invite them to send me the content for a page or pages dedicated to the veteran. I'm also interested in any photos/documents/etc. that might be of interest to the group.

I just added the page for the 924th EAR and would gladly add a page for your father. Would you be willing to act as the "unit point of contact?" I am trying to get everyone to add a topic here in the forums under the unit or units of interest. I'm hoping we can use it as a means of keeping in touch.

I'd be very interested in anything you or your dad may have about the 924th, including reunion photos. I think it's important to document both their efforts during the war and their lives before and after.

Let me know if I can be of any more service and keep your eye on the site. I'm working hard to upload loads of photos/maps/histories/etc.

David

Post subject: photographs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:06 pm 

Hey guys. My Grandfather passed away a few years ago. Back in the war he served with the 924th EAR. His name was Wayne Schecter, and he was a Corporal.

I have a huge interest in the war, and I was very excited to be invited with my older brother to go through his things. My grandfather was a great photographer, and i am now in possesion of a very large amount of photos from the war. I am in the process of organizing the photos by campaign and country. But there are some photos that i'm not completely clear on. Either way, i'm putting them together as a photo collection for my family, and if either of you are interested in seeing these photos, let me know. I have no idea how long it will take me to organize, label, and set these pictures on a page, but i will be working on it all winter. so let me know if you are interested.

mark

mark.alan.mulder@gmail.com

Post subject: My father also served
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:33 am 

Thanks for maintaining this great forum. My dad was Vince Adams and was a member of the 924th EAC. He was good friends with Jack Buckwald & we used to reunions for years until we moved to Arizona in the late 1960's.

After my dad died in 2001, I found a scrapbook with many, many photos, but no notes. I'd be willing to scan & post them in the hopes of stories behind even a few of them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

Vicki wrote:
After my dad died in 2001, I found a scrapbook with many, many photos, but no notes. I'd be willing to scan & post them in the hopes of stories behind even a few of them.

Hi Vicki. I'd be honored to post the photos. If you'd like to scan them and then maybe put them on a CD, I could add them to the collection. We could also do a page specifically for your father. I make space available for any veteran or family member to do a memoir or memorial. Just let me know.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:51 pm 

Vicki,
I remember both you and your father. The reunions were with the Hersheys, later the Turners, and Waldrons joined in. I don't know if you guys had moved by then. We had the reunions at Blue Rock State Park, here in Ohio. If we can connect, and you can get me a copy of your photos, I know my father can shed light on them. He indicated he would be happy to do so. Let me know. It would be great for him to establish contact with you.

Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:02 pm 

Forgot to mention, if my father can shed some light on those photos, they would make a great addition to the 924th's pages. I know David will do them justice.

Post subject: Replay to Jack Buckwald
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:53 am 

Jack - Thanks for offering to coordinate between myself & your dad. I (hopefully) have sent you a private message on how to contact me directly. If you don't see it soon, post another replay on the bulletin board.