IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 832nd EAB During WWII
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:03 am 

I hope someone might be kind enough to help me get some facts about my father's participation during WWII. He passed away yesterday, December 31, 2005, and when writing his obituary, I was unable to confirm that the 832nd EAB received five Bronze Stars for battles in Normanday, Northern Europe, Rhineland, Ardennes ("The Battle of the Bulge"), and Central Europe. He enlisted on May 25, 1942 and was discharged on October 11, 1945.

Although his discharge papers state his participation in these battles, I have no evidence that he received Bronze Stars. I called a fellow seargant, also in the 832nd, with whom my father was very close, and he was certain that my father should have been awarded five Bronze Stars.

Is anybody able to tell me how I can get this confirmed, or where I can get more information on the 832nd EAB?

John O'Rourke, Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:24 am 
Site Admin

Hi John. I am very saddened to hear of your father's passing. I wish I'd had a chance to meet this hero of the IX Engineer Command, especially since I will be in NY later this month. Please pass along my condolences to your family.

Johnforourke wrote:
I was unable to confirm that the 832nd EAB received five Bronze Stars for battles in Normanday, Northern Europe, Rhineland, Ardennes ("The Battle of the Bulge"), and Central Europe.

The Bronze Star is an individual medal awarded to
Quote:
any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Army of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against an armed enemy; or while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party

I think you might be taking about the European/African/Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with five stars, one for each of the following campaigns ...
  1. Normady
  2. Northern France
  3. Rhineland
  4. Ardennes-Alsace
  5. Central Europe

Any of the men who served in the 832nd EAB during WWII would have rights to wear this award with five stars.

I looked in my copy of the 832nd EAB history and found who I believe to be your father, Sgt John F. O'Rouke, from Patterson, NJ. I have added him to the site. I hope to have the entire history plus the periodic reports on the site some day soon.

Again, my thoughts go to you and your family at this time. Your father was a great hero of WWII.

David

Post subject: Battalion History
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:01 pm 

Hello David,

Thank you for the clarification and your very kind words. You are correct in assuming that my father was Sgt. John F. O'Rourke of Paterson, NJ. When going through some of his books, I located his copy of "Battalion History." His photo can be seen on p. 84 in the rear row of the 2nd platoon. He is shown standing third from the left.

Kind Regards,
John O'Rourke, Jr.