IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:36 pm 

My father George H. Saenz (RIP) served in the 862nd EAB during the final months of WWII. I would deeply welcome any information from anyone who knew him.

Am attaching a photo of my Dad on the left with two men. The man on the right I believe was in my father's unit, and I am wondering if the man in the man in the center was in the battalion or if he had been a German soldier. This is, of course, after the end of the war. My father was a Provost Sgt assigned to a POW camp. One story was that a prisoner, who was born in Dallas, Texas, became a friend to my Dad and others. The man named Edi made two small boxes from the windshield of a German plane for my Mom and Dad. My father kept his medals and insignia in one of the boxes along with the attached. Am also attaching a photo of the box.

Linda Macdonald

Attachments:
box from Germany lr.jpg
box from Germany lr.jpg [ 70.67 KiB | Viewed 325 times ]
George w 2 men lr.jpg
George w 2 men lr.jpg [ 47.47 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]
George w 2 men lr.jpg
George w 2 men lr.jpg [ 47.47 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:48 pm 

I have another document that says George Saenz was in the 843rd. I do not understand.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:10 pm 

Hi, I just read your post and I had seen his name somewhere before. My dad was in the 843rd EAB. I looked on the roster of men who served with the 843rd and found your father listed there. If you did not have his name posted, maybe David could tell you how, who, and when it came to be on the roster. There is a photo gallery with many unidentified men; your father may be in one of these pictures.

As to your father's service with the 843rd, I know that he was not a member of Company A around August 1945, as I have my dad's company roster from then. He may have been at the end of the war in May 1945, or was in one of the other 3 companies before going to the 862nd. Your father's discharge and separation record could show some kind of break in classification from a construction-type occupation to something more security-oriented. This could give you a window as to when the unit transfer occurred.

As a further note regarding the 843rd, after the war in Germany ended, a number of the newest members (in terms of length of service) [the back bottom of your father's discharge should have his ASR score and a date] were transferred to other units going to the Pacific theater. The rest of the unit was either going to stay in Germany as part of the occupying force or return to the U.S. as part of the strategic reserve. Some time after learning that the unit was to be placed in the strategic reserve; the Army changed its mind and kept the 843rd with the occupying troops in Germany. From the end of May 1945 until the end of August, several batches of men were released and sent back to the U.S. In July 1945, other men were transferred to other battalions that were going to remain in Germany (this could be when your father was transferred to the 862nd). After Japan surrendered, the rest of the 843rd was gradually disbanded with the men heading stateside. By early November 1945, there was just 1 officer and 10 men left to finally deactivate the 843rd.

I hope this helps.