IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:13 am 
Hello! I reaching out to anyone who has any information on the 862nd Aviation Engineer Battalion from March of 1943 to February 1946. My Grandfather served in this unit. He died in 1990, when I was a teenager so He never got in to any detail about WWII. I'm the first and only one of his family to have served so that makes it ever more special to me to learn all that I can. Thank you in advance for any information that anyone shares with me. Respectfully,
Tim Dart

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

Tim, welcome.

Right now I'm really focused on gathering memoirs/memorials/histories/etc. of the men in the Command. As I find veterans or family members, I invite them to send me the content for a page or pages dedicated to the veteran. I'm also interested in any photos/documents/etc. that might be of interest to the group.

I just added the page for the 862nd EAB and would gladly add a page for your grandfather. Would you be willing to act as the "unit point of contact?" I am trying to get everyone to add a topic here in the forums under the unit or units of interest. I'm hoping we can use it as a means of keeping in touch.

I recently met two members of the 862nd at the reunion in Dayton, OH. I have also recently received a copy of the unit history called "Our Finest Hours" collected by Sherl Hasler and Hershel Luck. I am still digesting it and hope to get permission to publish some if not all of the memories here.

I'd be very interested in anything you may have about the 862nd, including photos of your grandfather. I think it's important to document both his efforts during the war and his life before and after.

Let me know if I can be of any more service and keep your eye on the site. I'm working hard to upload loads of photos/maps/histories/etc.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:12 am 
Hi Tim, What was your grandfather's name? My dad is Sherl Hasler and he has spent many years tracking down people from this unit. I would like to pass your grandfather's name on to him. They have a reunion this year in Las Vegas I believe in September. If you can, you might want to attend. I did a few years ago and had a wonderful time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:31 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Hi Tim, What was your grandfather's name? My dad is Sherl Hasler and he has spent many years tracking down people from this unit. I would like to pass your grandfather's name on to him. They have a reunion this year in Las Vegas I believe in September. If you can, you might want to attend. I did a few years ago and had a wonderful time.
Thanks for the info and yes I've already given your Dad the name of my Grandpa.