IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 862nd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:34 pm 
I served with the 862nd EAB in WWII from 1942 - 1945. We have an annual reunion with companies A - C for the 862nd. If you're interested, contact diajoe@worldnet.att.net.

Post subject: James M. Gabb
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:28 pm 

My father in law James M. Gabb served from I believe 1942-1945. He was hit by a bomb while sitting in front of a store. He mention something about a buzz bomb. He was wounded and loss all memory of how he got to a hospital. Can anyone help me with this. I have found his day to day diary of events several soldiers and commanders were mentioned. I would love to share this story with anyone from the 862nd Aviation Engineers

Let me know if anyone is interested in his story.

Thank you,

Tom Sandwith
son in law

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:20 am 

My grandfather, Walter LaFlash Jr., served in the 862nd co B as (I believe) a signal man and then at the end of the war a military policeman until December of 1945. He died in 1976 before I could ask him much about the war.

He was origninally in the Infantry and was wounded (lost a finger) in Nov 1944 in France. I believe he was then transfered into the 862nd.

I would like him to be added to the roster and any information you have of the company or battalion to be forwarded on to me.

Thank you,

Jason LaFlash

Post subject: Re: 862nd
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:51 am 

Hello. I first served at age 17 with Company A, 862nd EAB in Germany from July 1954 in Landsthul AFB. The company moved to Hahn AFB in 1955. We were SCARWAF, attached to the US Air Force. The 862nd was disbanded in May or June 1956 when I was transferred to another EAB at Molseworth AFB in England. I have several photos of the Company sign deeply stored someplace. In 1954 and 1955 we were assigned building of Mobile Home sites on US Air Bases in France. The sites were for dependents because France would not permit permanent dependent facilities to be built. SCARWAF stood for Special Category Army With Air Force. We wore a red elongated shield shaped patch with a white sword bearing white wings.

Joe Fizell