IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McNeil Information
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

I recently received this email from Graham Baggott

Quote:
I am searching for a "McNeil" he was in the 827th, and served in Eye in Suffolk in the UK around 1944/45, he was my brothers natural father.

I am unsure of the spelling of his name, have searched several
cemeteries, just in case!, but found nothing conclusive, I have very, very little info so am searching everywhere and anywhere to trace him, or indeed something about him or someone who can advise of further details, i.e. Correct spelling of name or christian name etc etc.

Any help would be very gratefully received

This brings up a couple interesting questions and sources. Here is the response I sent ...

Quote:
... Unfortunately I don't have any unit rosters yet for the 827th EAB. I'm finding them slowly.

You're also the first person connected to the 827th EAB to find us so I can't (yet) tap another's shoulder and ask if they have a roster.

Here's what I would suggest .... post a message in the 827th forum and see if anyone finds it. Also, do you live anywhere near Carlisle, PA? The Military History Institute there has a copy of the Regimental and Battalion history that includes the 827th EAB. I haven't been able to get there yet but will some day. Maybe they can look it up.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and let you know if I find anything.

What made you look at cemeteries? Do you think he died overseas? I checked the American Battle Monuments Commission site (they manage all American Military Cemeteries overseas) and did not see a McNeil (or variation) with the 827th buried overseas. That doesn't mean he didn't die overseas and was brought back for burial here in the states.

Do you have an idea from which state he entered service? Given that, we might be able to search the National Archive site which has more records.

I thought I'd repost it here since it has some good guidelines on places to search.

David

Last edited by dplittle on Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: McNeil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:27 pm 
I am trying to trace a soldier who was based in the UK at an airfield in Weybread in the county of Suffolk. He was there approx 1944/45. His name was, I beleive, Mc Neil, I have very little info to go on. If I could contact someone in the regiment just to first of all establish his correct identity and of course if any one knew him - brilliant! The only other info is he was probably from Indiana.
I would be very grateful for any help.

Graham

Post subject: Mc Neil
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:13 pm 

Hello, Thanks for that, I also have info that he may be/was a Sergeant!