IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sgt Cychosky
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:12 pm 

Dear friends of the 852nd EAB

Following some years ago the recovery by a local farmer, of one identity tag that he found in one of his fields, south west of Guipavas airfield (today Brest airport, Brittany, France)and later offered to me, I wrote to LTC Glen A. Yake who seemed to have been the contact to write to at that time, but never got any reply. The complete address was :

852nd Engr Aviation Battalion, LTC Glen A. Yake, USA, Retired, 2611 Cherry Lane, Spokane, WA 99223, (Newsletter) (509) 534-0815

I first thougt Sgt Chester J. Cychoski belonged to the 2nd ID, because it’s the unit that liberated this part of north west Brittany, but I found thanks to the abmc site, he belonged to this 852nd EAB.
I can suppose he was there to study the state of the airfield, but think he probably was killed in an accident, as the 2nd ID who liberated this airfield was at that time, much closer to Brest, or even in Brest suburbs. This being avalaible in the case he didn’t dye later from wounds...

My aim is still to find information about his loss.
From abmc.gov :
Sgt Chester J. Cychoski died on September 12, 1944. N° 32459294
Entered the Service from New Jersey, died September 12, 1944
Buried at: Plot K Row 8 Grave 12 at Brittany American Cemetery, St. James, France

I later learnt from http://www.wwiimemorial.com and the National Archives & Records Administration War Department files that SGT Chester J. Cychoski Hometown was Passaic County, NJ

Then I made a research of any living relative, and got a kind reply from a genealogy group who provided valuable information about where he lived, his parents, but still no contact.

Right now about all I can tell you is his father was Stanley born in Poland
Annie was his Mother born about 4/16, 1896 in Poland Died 3/1984 NJ
Sister Jennie born about 1923 Passaic, NJ
Sister Wanda born about 1925 in Passaic, NJ
Chester born about 1921 in Passaic, NJ
They resided on 4th Street, Passaic.

In researching on my computer program I do not see any living people with this spelling but they do refer to Cusick.
The name Cychoski could have been Americanized.

I will put a research inquiry out over my Internet Program to see if I can find any interested person. It may take a while to get any responses.

Betty Lou Walker, Vol. Researcher at PCHS

I now hope any of you reading this message could add anything. If I could meet any relative, of course this identity tag would be offered to them, and a ceremony in his memory could certainly be done here, just to let them know we won’t forget what those men did for us. It was displayed several times at exhibitions

Many thanks for any help you may provide.
Regards

Gildas

Gildas Saouzanet
12 rue du sphinx
29840 Lanildut
France