IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:05 pm 

Hello to all WWII Vets, Their Children, Grand Children, and Great-Grand Children.

I am the grandson of John F. Pozanc who served in the 973rd Eng Mtn Co. during WWII. I am currently compiling his personal stories into a biography that will be submitted as my Bachelor Thesis.

I am looking for other personal stories, photos, and documents to compliment the limited collection my Grandpa has. His personal file was destroyed in the 1973 fire. I am really at a loss for images and am resigned to develope literary images for this biography.

If you were a member of the 973rd or if you know someone who was please contact this discussion forum or contact me personally. I will be frequenting this site from now (11-2-05) until 4-15-06. At that time I will be finalizing my thesis.

Thank You
William

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hello William and welcome. I'm glad you found the site. I've added your grandfather to the list of men in the the 973rd (http://ixengineercommand.com/listmen.php?unit=40).

I hope you find someone with information on your grandfather and I will check my records for any general info. I'll also check my records for 973rd veterans or family members to see if I have any mailing/email addresses.

I hope you stick around even after your thesis is published. If you'd like to create a page about your grandfather then I'll gladly put one up on the site. You can basically include anything you'd like .. photos, stories, histories, etc. Whatever you feel is appropriate.

Good luck on your thesis and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:12 am 

Here is the listing of the members of the 973rd Engineer Maintenance Company who served overseas in WWII as documented in “The 973rd Engineer Maintenance Company Overseas Book.”

Officers

Arbogast, Ruhl L.
925 Melrose Ave.
Ambridge, Penn.

Kunz, Gordon F.
Carthage, Illinois

Tharp, L. F.
Waterloo, Iowa

Whedon, Burt D.
Lincoln, Nebraska

White, Lester P.
Glenn Falls, New York

Enlisted Men

Abbate, Cristoforo
210 Buttrick Ave.
Bronc, New York

Adamo, Samuel
645 Boyd St.
Carnegie, Pennsylvania

Aldridge, Fred
Superior, Ohio

Allman, Paul E.
Route No. 23
Parkersburge, West Virginia

Alvarez, Tony R.
P.O. Box 1033
Tulare, California

Amato, Charles J.
615 19th St.
Niagara Falls, New York

Arnold, Rex T.O.
T.O. 2334 Grand Ave.
San Diego, California

Baldwin, David E.
121 W. Patriot Street
Somerset, PA

Barden, Rex E.
Shelbyville, Illinois

Bauer, Richard F.
280 Duer St.
Oswego, New York

Becker, Henry
4434 University Ave.
Chicago, Illinois

Beireis, Cutis W.
514S. Walnut
Troy, Ohio

Bell, Leland W.
Toute No. 2
Kembotton, Ohio

Bennett, Claude A.
Manteca, Calif.
R-2 Box 104

Bergersen, Edward D.
702 Harding Ave.
Alvert Lea, Minnesota

Belvilacgua, Wedo A.
949St. Clair Ave.
Columbus, Ohio

Blalock, Wilborn D.
1319 W. 2nd Street
Gastonia, N. D.

Boussie, Lloyd K.
11479 E. Vernor Highway
Detroit, Michigan

Bowers, Wilbur F.
Route No. 4
Zanesville, Ohio

Bowman, David D.
1926 Bancroft Ave.
San Leandro, Calif.

Brown, Edward J.
1415 W. 77th St.
Cleveland, Ohio

Brown, Oswin N.
3741, Buena Park Drive
North Hollywood, Cal.

Bussard, Charles W.
207 E. Pines Street
Robinson, Illinois

Byerline, Delbert E.
Mechanicsburg, Illinois

Carletta, Sylvester A.
31 Roberts-Street
Bradford, PA.

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:00 pm 

William, I to am searching for additional information on my great uncle who was in the 973rd. He was mstr sargent Norris M. Granum. I have some pictures and his overseas book listing all of the others in the IX Engineer but not much else. I have submitted for and recieved the same information you did about his records and had to fill out additional records. I affraid that I may have more information in my hands than the government does. I will try and help any way I can, and pass on as much infromation as I come accross it. Good luck.

Spencer
Hillsboro, OR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:56 am 
Site Admin

wmlebok wrote:
Here is the listing of the members of the 973rd Engineer Maintenance Company who served overseas in WWII as documented in “The 973rd Engineer Maintenance Company Overseas Book.”

William, it looks like the forum didn't take your entire post with the names. I'm guessing it was too long. If you could send me the full list in an email, I'd be happy to get the names on the site.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:48 pm 

William,

I am going to round up the pictures that I have and send them for posting. I don't even know if these pictures are of the 973rd.

I am trying to find out any other information about his other units that he was involved with, because he was also in the Pacific Theater with what I think was the 472nd Engineer Maintenance Company. So if there is any one out there that has any information or a direction you think I should look I would appreciate it.

Spencer
Hillsboro, OR

Post subject: Norris Granum
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:15 am 

Hello Spencer,
Sorry my reply is so late. I'm am currently finishing up fall semester and I am extremely busy. I opened up the Overseas Book and I'm looking at your Great uncle as I write.
I would really like to hear of any stories and see any photos you may have. I am collecting this information as a Senior Thesis but I fully intend to submit this Bio to the Minnesota Historical Society.
I will unfortunately be busy until 12/15/05. After that time I will be more diligent about replies and submissions.
Thanks so much for your help
William

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:00 am 

William,

I got this information from Michael Brodhead he is a historian, for the Office of History, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He put me in contact with Charlie O'Connell for addtional information on the 973rd. The email I sent is below. I recieved about 41 pages of information about the unit. It included company history, historical data, unit periodic reports and other information. The reel number for the microfilm is below and I received the information fast. If you don't have this information it is worth the effort.

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:53 PM
To: charles.oconnell@maxwell.af.mil
Subject: Microfilm reel for 973rd Engineer Maintenance Company

Sir,

I have been forwarded to you by Michael Brodhead from the US Army Corps of Engineers, Office of History. He stated that your agency might have the information I am looking for. I am looking for information on two units, one is the 973rd Engineer Maintenance Company. Michael said that he had a poor copy of the micro film and that you might have a better reel of micro film. The reel number is AO 283. I am interested in purchasing a copy of this information.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:55 am 
Site Admin

William and Spencer (et al),

I recently acquired a copy of the booklet "973rd Engineer Maintenance Company, Our First Anniversary" published on 25 September 1944.

It gives a good history of the activation of the unit and early months of the 973rd. As soon as I'm done with my upcoming move, I'll have time to get it scanned and up on the site but if you'd like a copy of it before that let me know. I'll let you know the cost to copy and mail.

It includes a roster as of that date with each man giving a quote. Thought you might like to see these ...

Norris M. Granum (then Tech Sgt), Box 70, Reedville, Oregan
"If it's women, count me out"

John F. Pozanc (then T5), 1072 E. King St, Winoma, Minnesota
"I gotta flat!"

David

ps: William, this is not, I don't believe, the same as the Overseas Book you have so I am still interested in purchasing a copy of yours.

pps: Now that we have converted most of the films specifically connected to the IX Engineer Command (http://www.ixengineercommand.com/video) my next major project will be to obtain copies of all the unit microfilms. I have the 922nd EAR's but need the others to better answer questions from family members. Perhaps another sponsorship opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:37 pm 

I do have two copies of this booklet. I also have a 10 page booklet on the IX Engineer Command, Ninth Air Force. This boklet is 6 1/2 inches wide and 7 inches tall. It contains reduced size commendation and congratulatory type letters for the unit. I don't know how I can reproduce this so others can see it because it is stapled and I do not want to disassemble it to try and scan it.

How do you go about reproducing something like this?

Spencer Lambing

Last edited by spencerlam on Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:12 pm 

David,

I also have the overseas book for this unit. I wanted to get this digitized but like my last posting I don't know how to do this with out making a mess of the book. If William cannot get you a copy I might be able to help you if I find out how to reproduce the one I have digitally.

Post subject: Digitizing Books
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Well you've asked the $60,000 question, Spencer. Let me give you my feelings on the matter and what I've done myself (if there are any collectors out there reading this that are looking to maximize financial value then you might not want to continue reading ... <grin>).

Since I collect IX Engineer Command documents for my personal library and to share the information with no idea to ever sell them, I take a different approach then someone who collects to resell ... I don't mind slightly altering the original condition. In most cases with booklets or small histories that are only stapled, I go ahead and remove the staples before scanning the document. I then put the book back together using archival quality thread. My reasoning is that 1) I don't care if I slightly reduce the value by removing the original staples and 2) the staples usually are not stainless and tend to rust, thereby ruining the document more than me taking the staple out.

In cases where I have either borrowed a document or if the cover is glued to the spine, I carefully copy the book without stressing the spine. I then scan the copy. You don't get as good a copy but it minimizes the wear and tear on the book. In most cases I can copy the book two pages at a time but would have to scan it one page at a time (and therefore doubling the manhandling).

In a couple cases I've had books where the spine is in need of repair anyway. Again, since I don't really care about resale value, only preserving the document, I send it to a bookbinder in Atlanta that specializes in rare books. They've even repaired a couple family bibles I possess. I have worked a deal with them where I send them the book and they remove the cover and spine (normal part of the repair process). I then have them send me back the pages from which I obtain a nice clean scanned copy since I can lay the pages flat. I send the pages back and they rebind the book for me. It is a bunch of steps but it is worth it to make the information available (stay tuned for the posting of the 834th EAB history which I did using this method).

I don't know if this helps or not. My feeling is that you should take the path which best preserves to document, if you plan to keep it. If you plan to sell it at some point then leave it as it is (and call me first before you place it on the market!! <grin>)

Let me know if I can help in any way scanning/copying/etc.

David

ps: I have a copy of the commendation booklet too. One day I'll get it online too. It's way down on the list behind all the unit histories though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:58 am 

David,

I was looking through the packet of infromation I recently received about the 973rd and came accross an Historical Data, awards page. It was for two individuals from the unit that received the Bronze Star Medal. The names are as follows:

Tech Sergeant Clyde H. Dorrity
Master Sergeant Frank J. Kohn

For periods of 25 Sept 43 - 8 May 45 for both.

I thought that this was information that might help some one out there who might be looking for it.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Spencer. I've added their names to the roster. It doesn't happen to give any information on the award particulars does it? Place, action, etc.?

Thanks again for keeping the info coming.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:25 pm 

No, it just lists that they have been awarded the medal and the time they served to receive it.

Today I think that I am going to be able to digtize the 973rd documents I received. Do you want me to send them to you, or is there some where I can post them?