IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:37 am 

My father was in the 937th Engineer Aviation Camouflage Battalion in 1944 and 1945, in England, Belgium and Germany. He would never tell me much and now he is gone. I am trying to find out as much as I can about what he did and who he knew.
He got a commendation from Major Alan P. Henry, and Captain Bondy and Lietenant Colonol Barnes. My father was Edwin G. Dubert, Tec 5 in Company "B". I have many letters he wrote to his parents then and many photos of his unit, of the men he worked with and Europe then. I am going to scan them and put them here if I may. I am transcribing his letters and making a scrapbook of them with the real letters on one side and the transcription on the other or below it and photos around them. I found the insignia on this site for the 937th. I was two years old before I saw my father. I am doing this history for my three children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Hello and welcome. I'm glad you found the site. I've added your father here. I really look forward to seeing the information you have on the men in this unit. I have not seen much on the camouflage battalion.

If you'd like to create a page for your father, I have made space available. Take a look at some of the samples in this post and let me know if you'd like to do anything.

Let me know if you'll be scanning any photos and I can help you through the formats, resolutions, etc.

Again, welcome.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:06 am 

Thank you. I have a scanner and I will try to do this. I thank you so much for making the room. I don't know that much about what he did. I tried to get him to talk about it when he was dying in 1990 before the Gulf War), I even recorded our conversation, but he, like many, did not really want to talk about his experiences. This was in 1990 before Private Ryan, before all the movies and revelations about the war were being discussed and filmed. Everyone glorified that war and as you know war is never really glorious: it involves death and sacrifices and courage and in the end guilt that we never anticipated and that no one who hasn't been there can really know. I wish he was here now to be a part of the disclosures and revelations about that war and all the ones that followed to cleanse his soul. Thank you for your response and I will do the scanning and all as soon as I can. This weekend I may be able to get it started.
Donna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:31 pm 

My father was also in the 937th. This is quite an old post, but I am trying to piece together my fathers service record during the war. I have very little information since my Dad died in 1979 and we never really talked about his experiences in the war, but I do have some photos.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Barbara. If you have scans of the photos you can post them here. I look forward to seeing whatever you care to share.

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:07 am 

Like a few of the other posts, my grandfather was in the 937th. He was a Staff Sgt. in Company C and went by the name of Bruce 'Barney' Moore. He has long since passed away and we have been trying to piece together his whereabouts during the war. Unfortunately his military records seemed to have been destroyed in a warehouse fire many years ago.

From conversations before his death it seems that he was based first in England, then France, Belgium and possibly Germany. I currently live in England and am desperate to re-trace his steps across Europe. If anyone has any information, please post a reply. Likewise for everyone else searching, if I come across any information on the 937th, I will post here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:49 am 

My Dad was in the 937th. He was in 5 battle campaigns including Normandy and Battle of the Bulge. They built runways and ran supply depots. They also built dummy runways to draw fire from the German Luftwaffe. My Dad passed away in December 2009. It is too bad we don't have the leadership today that this country had back then. We would be a better country today.