IX Engineer Command

Messages for and about the IX Engineer Command and its constituent units.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:42 pm 

My father served in this unit in Europe in 1944-45. I have been virtually unsucessful in finding any information about this unit. I do know they built a bridge over the Rhine at Wesel on March 25, 1945 along with the 551st Heavy Ponton Battalion.

Any help in finding information about this unit would be greatly appreciated.

Gene Ferrin

Post subject: Very little info
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gene. Sorry. I have very little info on the Combat Engineers. I've focused on the Aviation Engineers. I did find this source....

The Rhine River Crossings from the book Builders and Fighters: U.S. Army Engineers in World War II

Checking my copy of the WWII Order of Battle, I see that the 1253rd ECB was formed on 15 Dec 1943 at Camp Cooke, CA. It shipped out from the US on 22 Oct 1944 and arrived in England on 2 Nov 1944. It landed in France on 15 Mar 1945 and was deactivated on 17 Dec 1946 in France. In August 1945 they were stationed at Vierson, Germany and scheduled to ship out to the Southwest Pacific Area had the war not ended. It was credited with participation in two campaigns, Central Europe and Rhineland.

I'll keep loking through anything else I have and see if I find anything.

David

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm 

I'm typing this for my Dad, Victor Hayes, who went in a 2nd Lt. when the 1253rd Engineer Combat Battalion landed in England, then went into combat in Europe. We have photos of his Company C, plus several brownie camera black and whites of the Rhine River crossing near Wesel, Germany. We have the history of the 1253 that was reconstructed from records and memories. This unit had a reunion at Sun River, Oregon (formerly Camp Abbot) in about 1985, calling themselves the "fair-haired boys"? About 25 veterans were there, but Vic doesn't remember their names.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:27 pm 

Hello David,

I note a post by Gene in 2005 about the 1253rd Combat Engineers. My dad, Victor, was a Lt. in Company C. He lives with us now in Oregon and at 88 can still remember most every detail of his tour of duty. Like most veterans of WWII, he never thought the US owed him anything for his service, even though he lost a good part of his hearing during the building of the pontoon bridge across the Rhine in 1945. Last year he was awarded 40% disability from the VA for hearing damage.

I have about 20 black and white photos of him and some of the command staff, the pontoon bridge across the Rhine, plus the Company C group photo taken in the US prior to leaving for Europe. If you want me to post all photos, I'd be happy to, but would like advice on process. I also have an official account of the 1253rd we obtained from the VA during Victor's application process.

In about 1985 there was a reunion of Vic's company at Sunriver, Oregon, with about 25 men and their families there. Dad has lost contact with all involved.

Scott Hayes
son of Victor Leon Hayes, Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi Scott and thank you for your offer. Since I'm focused on the IX Engineer Command and not an expert on the Combat Engineers, there may be a better place to post those photos. I'd hate them to get lost here.

My friend Marion over at http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com may have a better idea on the best place for these. Check out her site.

Thank you for your interest.

David

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:29 pm 

Hello, everyone.
My grandfather, Edward J Seasock, was part of the 1253 engineer combat battalion company A, with the medical detachment. The only information I have is his discharge papers and it is unclear if he ever left England. Would his papers say where he went after landing in England? His discharge papers said that he was discharged because of Nervous Disability. He left for Totenes, England on October 22 of 1944 and he left for the United States on March 14th of 1945. I was recently in contact with a veteran from Virginia. This man was with company A and landed on D day. I have his website/blog if it would be of any help to you. I was wondering if anyone has a unit history or if anyone knows why my grandfather might have had nervous disability. Would the Army have sent him home because he couldn't perform his duties? When my grandfather spoke to me he said that he never left England. I am not sure if this is true of if he wanted to avoid the subject.

Any information is greatly appreciated!
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:59 pm 

Hello!

Is anyone else using this wonderful website?

I have signed up to be an active member, but to date no one has bothered to activate my membership or to post my question.

My father was in the IX Engineers during WWII.

Hello! Is anyone out there?

Ray O. Chatterton, US Coast Guard, Retired MK1
landhermit@yahoo.com